Adverbs of degree or intensity include almost, barely, fairly, hardly, nearly, quite, very and really.
They can be used to intensify adjectives, other adverbs and verbs:
- Adjectives - I am almost certain.
- Other adverbs - He almost never speaks to me.
- Verbs - He almost broke the window.
- The adverb comes before the adjective and other adverb.
- *They have almost finished.
- When combined with verbs, the adverb position is either
- between the subject and verb, e.g. He almost broke the window.
- between the auxuliary verb and accompanying verb, e.g. I can barely hear the music.